Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Love Affair with Kitchen Stories

I was out goggling (actually i was at home, on my bed in my sweats, but i guess 'out' makes me sound like i have a bit of a life.. so, just play along will ya.. ) As i was saying, i was out goggling and i came across this film review on Kitchen Stories. A 2003 norwegian film by Bent Hamer.

'Kitchen Stories centers around a swedish efficiency researchers who came to norway for a study of norwegian men, to optimize their use of their kitchen. Folke Nilsson is assigned to study the habits of Isak Bjørvik. By the rules of the research institute, Folke is on a twenty-four-hour call, and sat in a special strategically placed umpire's chair in Isak's kitchen. And, under no circumstances is Folke allow to be spoken to, or included in the kitchen activities. Somehow, Isak stops using his kitchen and observes Folke through a hole in the ceiling instead. However, the two lonely men slowly overcome the initial post-war Norwegian-Swede distrust and become friends'

*excerpt from wikipedia and imdb

Honestly, how bizarre/crazy/insane/willy wonka is that review? The story is damn twisted man, and i'm sure mr hamer would play down the whole craziness of the storyline and make it as subtle as just another gilmore girls moment. I will kill to get a glimpse of it. But thanks to my country and its amazing import laws, i guess i'll prolly be five hundred years old before i could get my hands on it. Why not go through amazon.com or steal it off bit torrent and shit? Well, #1, I don't particularly adore internet transactions. Its like a plaque i try to avoid. #2, I feel bad enough stealing tunes off the net, so i'll keep whatever left of my morals to refrain from downloading movies. I should be at least supportive of my industry. #3, I am just plain lazy. Simple as that.

Anyways, the whole grading and art direction of the film reminds me quite a bit of Fiona Quinn's 'Waiting for the summer' editorial with Emily Smith. I've always got this love affair for the whole forties suburb wash off pastelly look. Do you?





No comments: